Wiregrass thespians Lost Art and Other Tales

Wiregrass Ranch teacher Joel Murray writes and directs “Lost Art” and “Strangers at the Station”.

Mrs. Swain

WRHS Drama students rehearsing for their performance.

The Wiregrass thespians will present Lost Art and Other Tales on October 12th, 2019 at 7pm at The Center for the Arts in Wesley Chapel. Selected students have also been preparing for the Thespian showcase, which includes songs and monologues that are going to be taken to the District 14 Thespians Individual Event Festival on December 14, 2019. Tickets are being sold online and at the door night 0f the show.

Mrs. Swain
Mr.Murray taking notes to prepare for the show.

Strangers at the Station” will be presented first, and is a short play about a man waiting for a bus who is approached by several people. They seem to know a little bit about him, but he does not know who they are, leading to the man’s confusion.

Senior, Jacqaise Anselm is taking on the lead role of the man in this production. To help him prepare, he runs lines with his family at home.

“I am confident and ready to perform,” Anselm said.

The second play is “Lost Art”, which is a four-scene, one-act play that is about a stolen painting from an art museum. The inspectors gathered together in attempt to catch the thief. The majority of the play is a continuation from last year’s performance.

One of the inspectors will be played by sophomore, Bella Maldonado who joined the Wiregrass theatre program last year.

“I think the play will go well because it’s a really fun show with a great cast and crew,” Maldonado said.

Wiregrass Ranch teacher, Joel Murray, wrote both plays that are being performed. This is the first time his work will be performed by the Wiregrass thespians. Murray has been writing poems and short stories for several years now.

“The message that was in my mind while I was developing the plays was that life is weird and unpredictable. There probably are not as many coincidences as we think there are,” Mr. Murray explained.

Mrs. Swain
Junior Zack Smith rehearsing as the art thief.