Senior Bulls get creative with their parking spots

Wiregrass Ranch High School allows seniors to carry on the tradition of painting their parking spots.

Christy Rankin

Students continued to work hard and push through to complete their spots, despite the heat.

For the fourth consecutive year, seniors at Wiregrass Ranch had the opportunity to customize their spots with whatever unique and creative design they felt best represented themselves.

After purchasing a parking spot for $40, students were asked to depict their design onto a smaller scale and turn it in to get approval prior to the painting date. The fee to paint was an additional $20, which covered the cost to participate in the activity only. Supplies, like paint, brushes, etc., however, were the students’ responsibility to purchase on their own.

At the end of the year, these seniors are then also required to paint over their spots, back to the original color, a flat black, or are given the option to pay another $20 fee and the school will repaint over it for them. This must be done before the senior check out date.

After all of the formalities are met, it is time for seniors to take part in this time-honored tradition that marks the beginning of the end of their time at WRHS. 

“I love watching the family and friends of our seniors come out and celebrate each other, be creative and create their mark for the year,” Assistant Principal Christy Rankin said.

The Senior class of 2018 was the first to paint their spots after requesting the privilege from the Wiregrass administrators at the time. After much discussion, the tradition began.

I think it is a great tradition that I really was excited to take part of and I think it is something that I will remember for a long time,” senior Adalee Vought said. 

Senior Alexis Burns and boyfriend painting her parking spot. (Bella Rey)

With the help of family and friends, Vought painted her space a bright pink background with a yellow smiley face, along with her name and year of graduation at the bottom.

“I wanted to do this design because I love how bright it is and how happy it looked,” Vought stated.  “I love pink, it’s my favorite color, so I wanted to do my parking spot pink, and honestly it was one of the easiest designs and I thought it was super cute!”

While each space was unique in its own way, they also carried special meanings. Many of the seniors felt as if they were incredibly lucky to get this opportunity, especially because of Covid.

“This opportunity is very exciting and is a great way to leave a personal touch here at school,” senior Alexis Burns said.

About 75 seniors were signed up to paint their spots in total, however the painting was split between two days due to lack of time, weather conditions, and extracurricular activities.

“I just wish we could plan on a cloudy day as the heat is always so bad,” Rankin stated.

The first day of painting was held on Aug. 21 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and most students used all of the given time.

For students that needed more time or were not able to make it to the original date, a make up date was scheduled for Sept. 8 from 12:30 to 6:30 p.m.