Seniors win annual Powderpuff game

The Senior team getting ready before their first game of the night.

The Senior class won this year’s Powderpuff game Wednesday night, beating the Junior team in the final game of the night 20-6.

The Seniors played the Freshman in the first game of the tournament. Senior Katherine Llanos led off with the first of many touchdowns, giving the Seniors an early 6-0 lead, after failing to convert on the extra point. The Seniors took a 13-0 lead, after a touchdown and run for an extra point by Ysa Novak. Freshman Kelli Helton cut the lead by 6 points, scoring on a pick-six. The Seniors then sealed their victory, 19-6, thanks to a second touchdown by Llanos.

The second game of the night was played between the Juniors and Sophomores. Junior Savannah Horseman proved to be a true asset to the Junior team, scoring two touchdowns, bringing the score to 12-0. After a two point conversion, the Juniors were up 14-0. The Sophomores came close to scoring late in the game, but missed the opportunity. The Juniors took advantage, scoring two more touchdowns, making the final score 26-0.

The Seniors took on the Juniors in the final game of the night. Llanos gave the Seniors an early lead, scoring a touchdown on the first play. The Juniors came close to scoring on the next set of downs, but the Seniors came up with a defensive stop. On the next offensive play for the Seniors, junior Loryn Finn intercepted a pass. The Juniors took advantage, with Kylie Keys leading the charge into the end zone, tying the score at 6-6.

The Juniors preparing to line up against the Sophomores.

The Seniors then scored after a long completion from Llanos to Novak, bringing the score to 12-6, after a successful two point conversion. Senior Madison Gregory helped the Seniors immensely in their last defensive stand of the came, stopping the Juniors 7 times in a row on one set of downs. The Seniors wrapped the game up with a touchdown pass from Llanos to Ariana Salcedo, bringing the final score to 20-6.

Senior Madison Gregory was pleased with the outcome of her last Powderpuff game.

“I believed we were going to win, and coming out with a win in our final Powderpuff game is really a great feeling, we all played really well,” Gregory commented.

Despite losing this year, junior Kylie Keys is hopeful for next year’s Powderpuff tournament.

“We’re very strong and dedicated; I think we could definitely come out with the win next year,” Keys explained. ” Our team is athletic and we have a lot of potential.”

About the Writer
Jason Mazursky, Writer

Jason Mazursky is a senior and this is his first year working for The Stampede. He plays on the lacrosse team, and likes to watch all kinds of sports....