Clubs help students stand out

Members+of+the+S.A.D.D.+club+%28Students+Against+Destructive+Decisions%29+at+the+homecoming+tailgate.+

Members of the S.A.D.D. club (Students Against Destructive Decisions) at the homecoming tailgate.

Wiregrass Ranch High School (WRHS) crammed with over 2,500 students and 200+ faculty can make it difficult for students to feel like more than just another face in the crowd. Clubs have them power to take large schools and make them seem small. With a plethora of approximately 50 clubs and honor societies, becoming invested in the high school experience at WRHS is much less intimidating than it may seem to prospective students.

When it comes to choosing a club to join, the choices range from honor societies to specific interest choices such as knitting and fishing club. 

“There are a lot of clubs to chose from,” said WRHS sophomore Sonya Sambhu. “I am currently involved in three clubs: Mu Alpha Theta, Class of 2019, and Key Club. I am most definitely kept busy, but it is worth it.”

While clubs keep students involved and busy, it also helps boost a student’s resume for college. Clubs show colleges the interest and passions of a prospective student, making the applicant more than a piece of paper at an admissions table.

The college board website writes great advice for students regarding the application process.

“Being smart is an important ingredient here, but it is not enough to be a study robot that does nothing but make good grades and ace exams,” the website states. ” You have to be able to get people to like you if you want to be successful. You have to be “well rounded.”

Senior Ashley Mulford, NEHS treasurer and NHS member, discusses why she joined clubs.

“I joined them because they obviously look good for college but with English, I enjoy it and it allows me to be involved, meet new people, and become more involved in the community. For example, in NHS we participate in Relay for life and NEHS did a book drive for kids.”

There has proven to be a definite difference between those students involved in clubs and those that are not; including grades, leadership, performance, and school spirit.

The Class of 2019 President, Dylan Nagore, gives some advice to students.

“Clubs bring leadership skills into effect. Clubs make you involved here at Wiregrass, they make you feel like more than a face,” says Nagore.

This is a current club list for the 2016-2017 school year.
This is a current club list for the 2016-2017 school year for those students interested in joining.