Filed under News, School

National Art Honors Society selects Kaitlyn Merryman’s drawing for May/April cover

Kaitlyn's Drawing for April/May Cover

Kaitlyn's Drawing for April/May Cover

Internet

Internet

Kaitlyn's Drawing for April/May Cover

Junior at Wiregrass, Kaitlyn Merryman will have one of her drawings appear on the cover of the National Art Honors Society (NAHS) Magazine for the April/May cover.  Her piece was drawn during a field trip that her art class took in October to a giraffe ranch. She was selected as one of the finalists through the digital issue of NAHS.

Kaitlyn has been creating art ever since she could pick up a pencil, but she did not start drawing seriously until she was thirteen. Now a junior, she is the co-president of the Wiregrass’ National Art Honors Society and has won several awards for her artwork.

Although this year is the first year that she started winning awards, she has been going to National Portfolio Day since she was in the ninth grade, which is a big deal considering that usually only juniors and seniors participate in Portfolio Day. She has also always been a year ahead of her class, taking Art 2D her freshman year.

Mrs. Smith, Kaitlyn’s art teacher, thinks that Kaitlyn has a promising future ahead.

“I feel like she’ll have a good career in illustration,” boasts Smith.

When Mrs. Smith got the email notifying her that Kaitlyn was being considered for the April/May issue, Kaitlyn was actually volunteering and doing face painting for the Special Olympics. She was unaware of even being considered for a few days.

In the future, Kaitlyn hopes to attend an art college out of state. Right now she’s looking into the Rhode Island School of Design and the California Institute of Arts, with notable alumni Don Cheadle and Tim Burton. She is also looking into a local college called Ringling College of Art and Design located in Sarasota.