Seniors prepare for college

Wiregrass Seniors prepare for life after high school.

Seniors are nearing the end of their high school careers, and for many the realization has set in that they need to focus on what’s next. As their final semester begins, now is a good time for Seniors to buckle down and really focus on their future plans.

Seniors are taking this time in the school year to apply to colleges, look for future jobs, and really consider what they want to do in life. Winter break is the perfect opportunity to make these decisions, if they haven’t yet done so.

Meredith College recently posted some tips for Seniors about holiday break, here are a few:

1. Complete and submit college applications well ahead of deadline. Having turned them in early and completely done will make your school of choice able to process the application as soon as possible.
  2. Search and apply for scholarships. There are so many out there that you might not even know about! websites like scholarsnapp.org can be great resources to help you find one fitting for you.
  3. If you haven’t taken the ACT/SAT yet, there’s still time! There are a few more dates left to sign up but you have to hurry before time runs out. There again, Winter break would be the perfect time to do so.
  4. Submit FAFSA. The application can be available at fafsa.ed.gov. This is another important step in applying to see where and if you apply for financial aid.

Wiregrass Ranch High School (WRHS) Senior, Nicole Palermo, talks about what she has done to prepare for college.

“I already have applied to several colleges. I know for sure, I have been accepted into the University of Central Florida and Florida Gulf Coast,” says Palermo.

Palermo plans to attend Florida Gulf Coast starting next fall. That was her school of choice and is excited to attend.

WRHS senior Milagros Feria, however, has different plans.

“I have applied to some colleges, but when I graduate, I’m planning on joining the Air Force. Not that I haven’t thought about college, but I feel this is what I want to do,” says Feria.

If you need help planning what is the next step for you, visit the Guidance office for assistance. You can make an appointment here.