Class of 2019 Outstanding Senior: Chin Chin Choi

Alexis Santana

Outstanding Senior Chin Chin Choi and WRHS Principal Mrs. White.

The Wiregrass Ranch High School Outstanding Senior for the class of 2019 is Chin Chin Choi.

Choi was among 10 finalists selected by their peers from a list of qualifying students. Seniors must have at least a 3.0 GPA and must be outstanding in terms of community service, citizenship, scholarship, and leadership in order to qualify as a candidate for Outstanding Senior.

Senior class counselor, Cathy Billington, explained the process of becoming the Outstanding Senior.

“Each senior was to vote for their three choices to represent WRHS as our Outstanding Senior.  These votes were counted and the ten students with the most votes were our finalists,” Billington explained. “The finalists then provided a cover letter and resume to the faculty and staff, they then chose the Outstanding Senior.”

All finalists from left to right: Zach D’Onofrio, Simone Billington, Julia Leck, Mackenzie Young, Lauryn Waldron, Maritere Pita, Chin Chin Choi, Carly Norman, Nick Suriel, and Treasure Wilson.

After Principal Robyn White recognizing all of the finalists for their accomplishments throughout their high school career, Choi was crowned Outstanding Senior.

“I didn’t think that I would even be nominated in the first place. The other nominees were all amazing students, so when I was chosen to be Outstanding Senior, I was very surprised,” Choi said.

Choi receiving the award from Mrs. White.

Although she was surprised, Choi’s accomplishments have made her more than qualified for this prestigious award. Since her freshman year, Choi has actively been involved in the heartbeat of the Ranch. She is the President of Mu Alpha Theta and Vice President of National Honor Society. She is also involved in Science National Honor Society and plays the violin inside and outside of school. On top of all of that, she has managed to maintain her academics and has a 4.61 GPA.

Fellow finalist, Carly Norman, is very happy for Choi.

“Chin Chin definitely deserves the award,” Norman explained. “She has great academics and character, which to me, both prove that she is outstanding.”

After graduation, Choi plans on pursuing a career in biomedical/biological sciences on a pre-med track.

“I hope to go to an out-of-state college and enter medical school, though I am undecided on which part of medicine I want to go into,” Choi explained.

Now that Choi has won the title of Outstanding Senior, she and all other Outstanding Seniors from Pasco County high schools will be interviewed by a panel of judges at the school district office. One winner will be chosen as Pasco County’s Outstanding Senior.