Wiregrass Volleyball loses close match on Senior Night

The Bulls celebrated their Senior Night for Girl's volleyball against Land O' Lakes High School.

Junior Amiyah Martin attempts a kill.

Junior Amiyah Martin attempts a kill.

Currine Talaga

Currine Talaga

Junior Amiyah Martin attempts a kill.

The Wiregrass Bulls volleyball team lost to the Land O’ Lakes Gators on Wednesday, by score of 3 to 1 with the set scores being 23-25, 25-20, 22-25, and 20-25.

Senior Emilee Adams being walked out by her parents for Senior Night.

Three seniors were recognized before their final home game for the Bulls: Jaizah Anderson, Emilee Adams, and Alexis Pryor. The seniors were introduced by fellow teammate Christie Faddoul, and walked out by their parents, to the applause from the stands.

Senior Emilee Adams is thankful for the role volleyball has played during her tenure at Wiregrass.

“It [volleyball] definitely helped me gain confidence in myself, and I made a lot more friends within the volleyball team, and with people who came to the volleyball games,” Adams explained.

The first set was led off by a point from the Gators, then tied up after a kill by Jaizah Anderson. Wiregrass took a 3-1 lead, after another kill and a block by Anderson. The Gators came back, taking a 5-4 lead and continued to increase this lead to 10-6. The Bulls brought the game back within 1 point, 10-9, after a few errors by the Gators. The teams stayed within 1 point, until Land O’ Lakes took a 23-21 lead and then won the set, 25-23.

The Bulls scored the first 2 points of the next set, and continued the momentum, increasing their lead 7-2. The Bulls eventually took a 10 point lead at 18-8, after a great block by Alexis Pryor. The Gators started a comeback, bringing the game within 5 points. The Gators continued to cut the deficit, 23-20, but the Bulls sealed the set win with another kill by Anderson.

Senior Jaizah Anderson attempting a kill.

Land O’ Lakes started the third set off strong, scoring 5 straight points. The Bulls scored their first point after a kill by sophomore Zoi Evans. The Gators maintained a 4 point lead the majority of the game until two blocks by Evans, and two errors by the Gators, brought the score to 19-17. The Gators won the set 25-22, despite a hard fought comeback by Wiregrass.

The fourth and final set started with a point by Land O’ Lakes. The Bulls responded with 4 unanswered points, but the Gators quickly scored 4 straight points after, tying the game at 5-5. The Gators then took a 6 point lead, their biggest of the set. Wiregrass brought the game back within 1 point, after a block and kill by junior Kayla McCarter. The Gators then scored 4 unanswered points, bringing the score to 24-20. An out of bounds serve by Land O’ Lakes gave the Bulls a chance, but they were unable to capitalize. The Gators won the set on the next point, and the match.

“[We need to work on] becoming one cohesive unit. I have some individual players that are developing their cognitive recognition of the bigger picture and until they master that we will continue to fight staying together as a team,” Coach Holowiak said after the match.

The match brought the Bulls record to 9-7, with three away games left in the season.

About the Writer
Jason Mazursky, Writer

Jason Mazursky is a senior and this is his first year working for The Stampede. He plays on the lacrosse team, and likes to watch all kinds of sports. He is excited to write about sports, especially basketball and lacrosse. After high school, he hopes to go to college and study physical therapy.