Filed under Entertainment, Music

Kendrick Lamar Tampa concert impresses

Kendrick Lamar in concert. Photo Credit: Flickr

Kendrick Lamar performed in Tampa, Florida for his current tour featuring YG and D.R.A.M on Friday, September 1st. He held the concert in Amalie Arena and sold over 13,000 tickets out of a possible 20,500.

“It was so fun! It was totally worth spending all that money to get good seats,” Wiregrass freshman Marissa Morton said. “Although it was just him on stage the whole time, it was super entertaining.”

The Compton, California born rapper seems to never disappoint as he entered the stage with a high flow of energy. He opened with his song DNA while swinging a Katana at his alter-ego Kung Fu Kenny. He kept the audience energized and on their feet the whole night with songs from his albums To Pimp A Butterfly, Good Kid, M.A.A.D City, and his titled tour album. He closed out his regular set with the song HUMBLE, and followed it with the last song of the night, an encore, GOD.

M.A.A.D. City was my favorite out of all the songs he performed,” Morton said. “The beat of the songs definitely got me hype,” Morton continued.

Fans in the audience felt a definite connection to him and his energy filled the concert.

“He was so alive and you can tell he loves his job,” Morton said. “The others do it for the fame, but he truly wants to connect to people with his music and worked very hard to get where he is.”

Kendrick’s concert lived up to everyone’s expectations and it was everything they thought it would be.

Out of everyone that performed at the Kendrick Lamar concert people say Kendrick Lamar was the best.

Since the concert, Lamar has earned the praises of many. Not just from countless fans, but from multiple critics and journalists.

Creative Loafing said, “In Tampa, Kendrick Lamar proves that artistic merit, never selling out just might make him G.O.A.T.” TBO.com confirms that, “Kendrick Lamar brings Kung Fu Fury to explosive concert at Tampa’s Amalie Arena.” And critic Jay Cridlin expressed in a quote, “Kendrick Lamar and  ‘Gorillaz’s ‘Humanz’ cement their status as visionaries.”

So according to countless fans and critics, it was indeed a night to remember.

About the Writers
Riyan Sarsour, Writer

Riyan Sarsour is a Sophomore at WRHS. This is his second year writing for The Stampede. Riyan enjoys writing for the school's online newspaper because...

Dereck James, Writer

Dereck James is a sophomore at Wiregrass and this will be his first year as a writer for The Stampede. He wants to be a barber or firefighter when he graduates...

Kevin Parry, Writer

Kevin Parry is a senior at Wiregrass Ranch High School. This is his second year writing for The Stampede. He is excited to write more entertainment and...

Emily Hanna, Entertainment Editor

Emily Hanna is a sophomore returning for her second year at The Stampede. She's a member of the GSA and Mu Alpha Theta, and is quite vocal about the LGBTQ+...