Boys soccer completes tryouts

Soccer tryouts for the 2018-2019 season.

Boys soccer tryouts warming up before they start

The 2018-2019 soccer season is underway at Wiregrass Ranch High School. Tryouts started on Monday October 22 and lasted until Wednesday 24. Out of the 70 students that tried out for the team, 43 were selected for the JV and Varsity teams.

The Varsity team has a strong core of returning players, but only 10 of the 23 on the team played as full time varsity players last year. Sophomore Adrian Maldonado is one of these new players. With 11 years of experience, Maldonado feels prepared and excited for this season.

“After being at tryouts for the past few days, I feel that I will do well this season, since I’ve played with most of the boys on the team before,” Maldonado said. “I see myself fitting in well with this team and after tryouts I think we’ll have a good team.”

Junior Jake Bierhorst excited for the upcoming soccer season

Junior Jacob Bierhorst has been on the Varsity soccer team since his freshman year. Bierhorst plays many different positions including defender, midfielder, forward.

“I am looking forward to having a strong season and getting the state championship ring,” Bierhorst said. “This season I am going to work on keeping the team focused on our goal and picking everyone up when the team is going through a rough time.”

This will be Coach Wilson’s 13th year coaching soccer for Wiregrass Ranch.

“I have very high expectations for this year; there is a ton of talent on this team,” Wilson said. “Our goal is to win a state championship and I expect us to put ourselves in the position to get there.”

The first pre-season game for the 2018-19 soccer season is November 6th against Calvary Christian at Sunlake High School.