Making it to the Podium

Track runners share details about their season, training, goals, and more.
Sophomore Abbey Johnson, junior Ava Schmitt, senior Sydney Alagal, and freshman Natalia Gaona-Zelaya pose after placing first in their 4×800-meter relay race. photo/ Abbigail McFaul

The track team’s season at Wiregrass Ranch is well underway and the competitive running Bulls are working everyday to prepare for Districts, in hopes of eventually qualifying for Regionals and States.

These student athletes practice for several hours daily after school to prepare for meets that take place almost every Saturday. Practice includes repeated interval distances, strength training, mileage runs, and VO2 Max workouts. Distance runner and junior Ava Schmitt detailed her goals for the season.

“I’m hoping to make it to states in all my events and I hope to make it on the podium,” Schmitt said. “Going into post season, I would like to break  5 minutes 10 seconds in the 1600-meter, break 11:10 in the 3200, and 2:20 in the 800.”

Junior Ava Schmitt runs down the track in her event as she focuses intently on her running form and breathing. photo/Abbigail McFaul

Schmitt currently holds the school record for the 800 with a time of 2:22.92, and has the second and third fastest times in school history in the 1600 and 3200, respectively. Her positive mindset and dedication to her sport is the reason for her immense success.

“Before I go to bed I visualize my races and write down goals for that race … I tell myself that I’ve been training at that pace for my workouts and I’m able to do it,” Schmitt said.

Another standout runner participating in track is senior Mason Spearin. This season, Spearin secured two school records in the 400 and the 800, due to his hard work all four years of high school. His 400 time is 50.12 and his 800 time is 1:55.53.

“I want to come top 3 at state and at least medal in the 800 meter,” Spearin said. “I would like to run a 1:53 so I just have to keep staying healthy and recover properly before each race so I don’t get injured.”

Senior Mason Spearin readies himself to receive the baton from his teammate as they compete in the 4 x 800 relay race. photo/Abbigail McFaul

Spearin’s devotion to track is evident from his intense training 5 days a week. He confessed he loves the adrenaline rush that comes from racing, and the competitive nature of competing against other high achieving athletes. All this prepared him for the next steps in his athletic career.

“I am looking to sign at a Division 1 program in a couple weeks … [at college] I will try to make an immediate impact and become a respected competitor in my conference,” Spearin said.

Additionally, Wiregrass had incoming freshman who accomplished several successes during their first season of high school track. With 3 more years of training and competing still left, the chances of these athletes going far with their running career is extremely likely.

Freshman Natalia Gaona-Zelaya ran both cross country and track this school year and achieved success in every event she participated in. Gaona-Zelaya has the fourth fastest time in school history in the 800 and the 1600, and the second fastest time in the 3200. She trained multiple days a week, took precautions to prevent injury, and fueled her body by eating healthy. However, the most important part of track for her was team comradery and forging relationships with teammates.

“[I love] the people I’ve met through [running],” Gaona-Zelaya said. “My teammates are all so amazing and supportive.”

Freshman Namarrah Smith also found success, although her talents included sprinting and jumping events. For the 100, her personal record was 12.77 seconds, placing her 5th in school history. Smith also secured 3rd place for the high jump, with a height of 4’11.75″. She has high hopes to continue track and run D1 in college.

“My favorite part about running track is having fun with everybody and beating the competition,” Smith said.

Overall, the 2024 track season at Wiregrass Ranch has developed a plethora of promising runners, including upperclassmen who have been training for years, and freshman who have years ahead of them to improve.