College applications during Covid-19

Seniors+think+about+where+they+want+to+apply+for+college.+

Aisia Walden

Seniors think about where they want to apply for college.

As college application season comes closer and anxiety rises, many seniors are preparing themselves to submit their applications by Nov. 1.

The class of 2022 Seniors were greatly impacted by the Coronavirus pandemic, as it began during their Sophomore year. Students believe that this pandemic has taken much of their school time away and has lessened their focus on understanding the application process.

Some students do not know where to begin when it comes to applications. Students that are new to the application process are even asking, “what is the difference between early action and early admission?” Many are stuck at “square one” of where you can start the application process.

One major part of applying to colleges is writing strong personal statements and supplemental essays that the colleges require. Writer’s block is real and many students feel stuck.

This chart shows how much the Coronavirus affected global education. (Chart created by World Economic Forum)

The Pandemic interrupted schools in Florida by closing in-person instruction on March 16, 2020. Students learned virtually on Zoom or through online platforms the remainder of the 2019-2020 academic year.

“I feel like I haven’t learned all the concepts of what I was supposed to during my four years because the pandemic interrupted my in-person learning,” senior Abigail Saintelmy said. “As an individual, I learn better face-to-face and with hands on activities.”

Although students feel tired and stressed at this time, some think that this is a “tough battle” that prepares you for the real world.

Jeremy Calzone, a history teacher at Wiregrass Ranch, works with many students and frequently helps seniors prepare for their college ventures.

“I believe this pandemic has left a positive impact on our students,” Calzone says. “It has been a lesson to teach students that life isn’t always going to be easy, you have to fight through the hardest things in life to get through them.”

The first semester of Senior year can be stressful for students as they have to fill out scholarships and financial aid applications, improve their testing scores, and submit their applications to schools.

Deshawn Mann signs into his ACT account to schedule an exam. (Aisia Walden)

“This is the busiest and most stressful time ever,” senior Mikey Salatino stated. “Focusing on school, sports, extracurriculars, and having to fill out applications on top of everything is draining, but I know that this feeling of stress is temporary and it’s going to take me somewhere good.”

There are many ways to cope with stress during this difficult time when it comes to applying for colleges. Making a plan or agenda of where you want to go and writing down the deadlines helps stay organized.