Culinary program competes in dessert competition

Alexis Marquith

Seniors Averi Willins, Sydney Murski, and Mary Dubac participating in the competition.

Wiregrass Ranch High School’s Culinary Program traveled to Land O’ Lakes High School on Wednesday, February 20th for the Culinary Creative Confections Dessert Competition. The competition was hosted by the Pasco Education Foundation who will allow the winning team to serve their dessert at the foundation’s Charity Gala in March. Five Pasco County School’s Culinary Programs competed against each other with hopes to cater the 300 person event.

Wiregrass Senior Culinary students Sydnie Murski, Averi Willins, and Mary Dubic, signed up to compete in the event as a team.

Third year culinary student, Sydnie Murski explained her preparation for the event.

It took time to get prepared for this event, designing and testing the flavors that we were using which was passion fruit, mango, strawberries, and chocolate,” Murski explained. “The stress did not get to me until the day of the event.”

Alexis Marquith
Wiregrass team’s dessert entitled Paradise.

Wiregrass made two desserts for the competition: a tropical flavored mango tart and passion fruit and banana chocolate bundt cake with chocolate ganache. They decorated their desserts with edible flowers, baked meringue, fresh raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries.

“I enjoyed how this competition was set up,” Dubic said. “We put everything into this and I am glad that we got the chance to show all the hard work we put in daily for things like this.”

The overall winner for the event was Marchman Technical College with their Italian shortbread with Pistachio Bavarian Cream & Chocolate Sauce dessert.

Willins feels that this competition helped her grow as a chef.

“It was a really good experience and a different type of competition,” Willins explained. “I think performance wise we could have done better with creativity, but for the most part we did very well.”

Culinary instructor, Chef Jeremy Blythe, was impressed by his student’s work.

“I think the final product was fantastic,” Blythe explained. “I’m really proud of the variation in colors, textures, flavors and just overall elements and techniques they presented in that dessert.  There were many components and so many different pastry techniques that they mastered in making that dessert.”