Filed under Entertainment, Music

“Tha Carter V” is finally here

With his 12th studio album, Lil Wayne gives us a fresh new project with the Wayne we all know and love.

Official cover for Lil Wayne’s Tha Carter V album.

After 5 long years of fighting lawsuits and spending time in court, Lil Wayne finally gained full rights to release Tha Carter V, an album that’s been teased since 2012.  Released on September 23, 2018, Tha Carter V is 23 songs, with features from stunning artists the likes of Kendrick Lamar, Travis Scott, and even his own daughter, Reginae Carter.  Being a direct follow up to Wayne’s 2011 LP Tha Carter IV, this is the Louisiana native’s twelfth studio album and his first official album since his 2015’s Free Weezy.

One of the albums biggest surprises was deceased rapper XXXTentacion’s feature on “Don’t Cry.” For weeks, rumors popped up that there would be a collaboration between the two artists. On “Don’t Cry,” the Florida rapper sings the chorus and Wayne pays his respects to the deceased rapper, with lyrics like: “I sip from the fountain of youth/ So if I die young, blame the juice/ Bury me in New Orleans/ Tombstone reads ‘Don’t cry, stay tuned’/ Bring me back to life/ Got to lose a life just to have a life/ But if heaven’s as good as advertised/ I want a triple extension on my afterlife.” 

Deceased rapper XXXTENTACION makes a special appearance on the album.

With an astounding feature by Kendrick Lamar, “Mona Lisa” has become the most listened to song on the album. This track was made years ago, but was tweaked to sound more current. With Lamar contributing a new verse, Wayne realized the changes he had to make to the song, including the beat.

Kendrick Lamar’s feature becomes most popular of the album

Overall, Tha Carter V has garnered a great deal of attention due to it’s many great reviews and the wait for the album. With a review from Variety, claiming it is a “fresh, frenetic, and flush album” and “an album that becomes emotional.”

The album is an astounding success; it’s projected to hit number one on the Billboards within the next week. Additionally, it has racked up 49.5 million views on Spotify within the first 24 hours, marking it as the second biggest debut behind Drake’s Scorpion. The songs on this album have also taken over 23 of the top 25 songs on Apple Top Music Chart.

Despite the seemingly endless wait for the album, Tha Carter V fulfilled many of fans’ wishes and is far from disappointing. With stupendous bars and rhymes and some remarkable features, it’s no mystery why this album is headed for number one on the Billboards.

Did you like Tha Carter V

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

About the Writer
Chris Mendez, Writer

Chris Mendez is a senior and this is his first year writing for The Stampede. For the second year, he will be a part of the Best Buddies club and when...