Filed under Community, News

Wesley Chapel shows support after Parkland shooting

A vigil for the victims of the Parkland was held on Monday, February 19th.

People+come+together+at+the+Weasley+Chapel+fields++to+honor+the+victims+of+the+Parkland+shooting.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

People come together at the Weasley Chapel fields  to honor the victims of the Parkland shooting.

People come together at the Weasley Chapel fields to honor the victims of the Parkland shooting.

In the afternoon on February 14th, 2018, a mass shooting took place at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. Seventeen people were killed during this attack, and fifteen were sent to the hospital. This was one of the world’s deadliest school massacres ever. Hundreds of families were affected by this tragedy.

There have been vigils held for the victims in local communities. Wiregrass Ranch High School’s chorus and band attended a candlelight vigil at the Wesley Chapel district park on February 19th. Anyone was welcome to attend and show their support for the victims, and the WRHS choir and band performed a set of songs at the event.

A large crowd gathered including families, students, and teachers. Various people got up and spoke about what happened on that tragic day.

There was a pretty big crowd that showed up, and everyone was there comforting and supporting each other.

One man stood up and read a few poems written by surviving students, and how it felt to have made it out alive. Another person stood up and talked about each victim.

WRHS sophomore Jenna Kearns, who performed in the choir, was shocked by the shooting.

“I had attended a color-guard competition with some of the victims recently,” Kearns explained. “Seeing the familiar faces on television and hearing about the devastation made me feel awful.”

Another WRHS student that preformed along with the choir, sophomore Natalie Rivadeneira, felt similar to Kearns.

“The entire situation was devastating itself, and it is even worse when you knew some of the victims,” Rivadeneira said. “The vigil really helped with feeling reconnected with the victims, and it was comforting knowing everyone there was being so supportive.”