Filed under Sports, Winter Sports

Girls varsity soccer recognize seniors

Lady Bulls seniors

Lady Bulls seniors

Lady Bulls seniors

Lady Bulls playing against the Lecanto Panthers

The Lady Bulls lost 3-1 to the Lecanto Panthers in their last home game of the season. Lecanto High School remains undefeated for this season after this win against the Bulls.

Sophomore Christie Faddoul scored the lone goal for the Bulls in the first half of the game. Head coach, Edwin Costa explains his feelings on the loss.

“The game was a good match for us. We knew they would be looking to continue their winning streak, so we had to be at our best. Unfortunately our team had been hit with the flu and some of our core players were not available for this match. We actually out-shot them 14-7, but failed to capitalize on the finish to put the goals in the back of the net,” Coach Costa explained.

Wiregrass honored it’s senior players during halftime. The senior players included: Hailey Knight, Rylind Robinson, Riley Sawyer, Juliana Ponce, Emily Leonard, Taylor Rubenstein, and Maddie Noland.

Hailey Knight, who has been on the varsity soccer team all four years of high school, explains the importance of the team to her.

“It’s been a great experience and has been the best part of my high school career,” Knight said.

Rylind Robinson, the team’s top goal scorer plans to continue playing soccer in college next year.

“I am going to continue my soccer career playing D2 soccer at Shorter University in Georgia,” Robinson commented.

Riley Sawyer is also very excited about her future. However, instead of taking the college athletics route, she’s focusing on her academics.

“I feel like I’m going to have a great time at UCF and I also feel like I’m going to be really successful there. I already have my roommate picked out, which adds to my excitement,” Sawyer said.

Losing so many seniors will make next season a building year for the Bulls, but that does not worry Coach Costa.

“With over 30 years of coaching high school soccer, there is one thing that I have found. There will be years that you lose quite a bit of starters, but then you do better than expected. Then there are those seasons where expectations are high, and you get hit with injuries and other situations which change things immensely. I like to be optimistic, and will see what we have after tryouts and our first preseason games to determine how things will go for next season,” Costa explains.

The Lady Bulls have 2 more games to finish out their season for the 2017-2018 school year.