Boys’ basketball team starts off the season strong

Marcus Scott driving to the basket during the Cypress Creek home game.

The Wiregrass Ranch Varsity boys basketball team is starting their season off strong, with a current record of 4-1.

The Bulls were undefeated in preseason games and started off the season with a double overtime win against Land O’ Lakes, proving their determination to succeed.

“I think we’re going to make it far into the playoffs, maybe even regional finals,” Assistant Coach Marvin Gray commented.

Daniel Biglow warming up

The Bulls are in a good position to win Regionals for the first time, giving the players something to strive for. This is also giving the student body a lot to look forward to, and with a successful preseason to back up this claim, it might be possible.

“I feel that if we continue playing great team basketball, we’re going to go a long way,” sophomore point guard Bryan Parker explained.

The Bulls are really wanting to make a statement this year and this was evident in their second game of the season against Cypress Creek, where they dominated the game 76-17 .

Junior point guard Elijah Howell, explained how these wins are encouraging the team.

“It’s giving the team morale and we’ve been playing good team games,” Howell commented.

Their first loss of the season was against Wharton High School, in a close game ending 52-49. The boys will meet them again at home on January 16th for another chance to secure a victory against this rival.

The Bulls next game is Friday against the currently 3-0, Plant High School.

“It’s going to be a really tough game; but if we put up some good shots, I think we’ll win,” Head Coach Jeremy Calzone commented.