Filed under Opinion

The best video game series of all time

My favorite series of all time.

My favorite series of all time.

My favorite series of all time.

The Legend of Zelda is without a doubt one of the best video game series of all time.

The series was created by Nintendo and came from the mind of one Shigeru Miyamoto, also known for creating Super Mario Bros., Donkey Kong, and Pikmin.

The very first Zelda game. Made for the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) over 30 years ago.

The original game The Legend of Zelda released on February 21, 1986, and is still going strong with the most recent game, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild coming out March 3, 2017.

The Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros. were both created at the same time. Whereas, Mario was created as a simple, streamlined adventure through a series of levels, Zelda was created to be its exact opposite as a complicated, open ended journey through a large overworld.

There has been over thirty years of games and the series has changed it’s styles, graphics, and gameplay, but always still manages to capture its spirit of adventure and mystery.

Every game of the series has its’ own self-contained plot, but almost all of them follow a simple formula. A kingdom name ‘Hyrule’ is put in danger by an evil force, the Princess of Hyrule, Princess Zelda, is captured, forced to flee, or goes missing, and the legendary hero reincarnated, normally named Link, fastens himself to save the day.

To put it easy, it’s a retelling of the Knight-Saves-Princess stories from our childhood in video game format.

There are some differences between games, of course, in order to vary up the series. Sometimes your end goal is not to rescue Zelda, sometimes you’re not in Hyrule, the way you go about saving the day is hardly the exact same, and other times you’re not even fighting against a truly evil force.

Each game in the series is categorized as legend within its’ own universe.

Here’s a nice timeline displaying all the games in their respective spots. The only game missing is ‘Breath of the Wild’ since it’s place has yet to be officially announced.

Overall, the Zelda games involve solving puzzles, fighting enemies, and conquering large dungeons in order to improve yourself with special items and progress through the world.

The Legend of Zelda is a very solid and well put together series that almost always seems to be made with passion.

I highly recommend any mainstream Zelda game of any style, but I would definitely recommend The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Although not my personal favorite, it has gotten a relatively recent remake for the 3DS, aptly named The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D. It has an entirely rebuilt engine and graphics, as well as an added hint system that helps take the load off of newer gamers.

Regardless of that though, I by no means recommend you swear off Zelda until you play that specific game. Any game in the mainline Zelda series is great.

For fans of adventure/puzzle games or video games in general, The Legend of Zelda is a must have.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “The best video game series of all time”

1. James Moore on October 31st, 2017 9:48 am

I feel this article is well written, in that, it draws my interest to the games Legend of Zelda and gaming, in general, for that matter. I am not an avid gamer and don’t know much other than casual encounters with various games and their respective gaming systems. That being said, this article piques my interest to the point of trying one of the games because of the details laid out in this article. – Thank you

[Reply]

2. Tina Louise Frigo on December 20th, 2017 10:44 am

This article is very well written. It draws you into the world of gaming whether that is your interest or not. At times, gaming is thought of as a mindless pastime for those who have little interest in anything else. Certainly, this article helped me, personally, look at gaming in a different light.

[Reply]

• The best video game series of all time

Opinion

Mason Ramsey is taking advantage of his recent publicity

Community

Why is domestic violence awareness necessary?

Opinion

Why Riverdale has fallen short in Season 2

Opinion

Let’s Plays and Sports

Opinion

The Marvel cinematic universe’s long-lasting legacy

Opinion

A different perspective

Opinion

Culture ll disappoints

Opinion

Has rap been destroyed?

Opinion

Snapchat update disappoints users

Opinion

Number 1 Billboard Artist: Camila Cabello

The best video game series of all time