Becht, the future of the Bulls

Rocco Becht is proving he is more than just a sophomore quarterback.

Hans Elmeus

Sophomore quarterback Rocco Becht and junior wide receiver Tyler Brueckner running onto the field to begin a drive.

Sophomore quarterback Rocco Becht, son of former Tampa Bay Buccaneers tight end Anthony Becht, is showing he has what it takes to be a strong leader for the Bulls.

Becht currently has 1,706 passing yards and 20 touchdowns this season. He shattered the school record for total passing yards in a single-season by more than 200 yards so far; the former record was held by Grant Sessums with 1,483 yards in 2017.

Becht was thrown into the starting quarterback role during the 2018-2019 spring football season, after the former starting quarterback transferred to Armwood High School.

“When I heard the news, at the time I didn’t really know what to think,” Becht explained. “I was nervous, but I knew that I had to play for the seniors; I couldn’t let them have a losing season.”

Hans Elmeus
Rocco Becht scanning the field during the Armwood game.

With this being Becht’s first varsity season, many people had their doubts. However, with a 7-2 season, a broken passing record, and the Bulls ranked 74th in the state, he has silenced those in doubt.

“Rocco is young, but he sets up perfect passes with great vision on the field,” Senior wide receiver Keith Walker said.

Having a former NFL player in his family can put a lot of pressure on Becht, but that does not seem to affect him on the field.

“It’s not really the pressure, it’s me making a name for myself,” Becht explained. “Whatever happens in my career, my dad will always have my back.”

With all of his accomplishments this season, Becht has garnered attention from various universities. Most recently, the University of Southern Mississippi, a Division I school, expressed interest in the quarterback.

It’s me making a name for myself.

— Rocco Becht

“I am blessed to be in a position like this as a sophomore with a D-I offer,” Becht said. “I’m so thankful to the coaching staff and my team for helping me get to this point.”

Becht’s father is proud of what his son has accomplished so far this season, especially as a sophomore starter on a senior-heavy team.

“My hope for Rocco’s future is that he fulfills the dreams and hopes that he’s set for himself,” Anthony Becht explained. “His work ethic and desire to be great will dictate what the future will bring.”

Hans Elmeus
Quarterback Rocco Becht avoiding the pressure from St. Pete’s defense.