Avengers Endgame: the impact the MCU has had on fans

Over a decade since the first MCU movie, a certain fan reflects on their experiences with the franchise.

Casey+Moran+sporting+his+Avengers+hoodie+on+campus+for+the+%22Avengers+Endgame%22+release.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Casey Moran sporting his Avengers hoodie on campus for the

Casey Moran sporting his Avengers hoodie on campus for the "Avengers Endgame" release.

Alexis Santana

Alexis Santana

Alexis Santana

It’s been 11 years since the groundbreaking movie Iron Man graced theaters; since then, Marvel Studios has consistently churned out films in their own cinematic universe, some more well-received than others. The immense level of hype surrounding 2012’s The Avengers is difficult to explain in hindsight, you simply had to be there to understand it. Now, in 2019, we are slowly creeping towards the conclusion of some of our favorite big-screen Marvel heroes’ stories, and it has led some fans to reflect on their experience with the franchise. One of these fans in particular is Wiregrass high-school senior, Casey Moran.

Poster for the movie that started a cinematic universe, Iron Man.

“Endgame feels like a culmination of many things, both of the franchise itself and, in a way, my childhood,” Moran explained. “Marvel movies have been a pretty big part of my life since I was in the third grade.”

Marvel has been very tight-lipped with their promotion of Endgame and Moran has taken note of this.

I think that there’s a lot that could have gone wrong with the promotion of Endgame,” Moran said. “Marvel and Disney have managed to keep the most anticipated movie of all time a relative secret, and I have to commend them for that.”

Despite this, fans have noticed death flags around certain characters in promotional material, and are worried for their favorite heroes.

Image from an Endgame trailer showing Captain America bruised and battered.

“I hate to say it, but I really think that Captain America’s gonna be the one to go,” Moran said. “Iron Man, I’m on the fence about; I’m sure that there will be more, but the one that will get people going is Captain America for sure.”

Some diehard MCU fans are familiar with the Marvel movie marathons that are available leading up to a big release. Moran in particular is fond of these and has attended two.

Image of senior Casey Moran at the Infinity War movie marathon.

“These marathons were some of my favorite experiences; the atmosphere was incredible and it really captured the experience I had with these amazing movies,” Moran explained.

Since the first trailer for Endgame was released, fan theories on the events of the film have run rampant on the internet. Moran appears aware of, and enjoys, these theories: “There are obvious ones devouring the internet lately, but I’m a big fan of the time travel theory and the fact that we’ll re-experience characters and storylines that have been in the making for years.”

While it’s difficult to guess what Endgame will bring, it may be easier to guess the trajectory of the Marvel cinematic universe moving forward.

“I think we’re going to switch focus onto the more recently introduced heroes moving forward,” Moran said. “I really hope that they keep the heart that has been driving these movies and fans for the past decade.”

About the Writer
Stephen White II, Entertainment Editor

Stephen White II is a senior at Wiregrass Ranch High School. This is his second year writing for The Stampede. He likes to listen to music as well as write...