Filed under Opinion

Dragon Ball Super: Broly the best of its franchise

Official poster

Soranews24.com

Official poster

After a year of trailers and clips of the film Dragon Ball Super: Broly, the movie is finally out, and fans all around the world are rejoicing. Released in the United States on January 16th, the movie begins with the origin of the Saiyans and then goes back to the present to an all out battle between the possible last three full-blooded Saiyans. With unbelievable action and great animation, this movie has been called the best Dragon Ball movie yet.

Better late than ever, Vegeta has finally achieved super Sayian god

The movie grossed an astonishing 7.06 million on its first box office day, along with an astounding 22 million over the weekend, even beating the long awaited movie Glass. Receiving an 83 percent on Rotten Tomatoes with a great review from Rotten Tomatoes, “Dragon Ball Super: Broly may seem like colorful chaos to newcomers, but for longtime fans, it represents this long-running franchise near its action-packed apogee.” 

Toei Animation
As chances of survival seem bleak, Goku and Vegeta team up to battle the monstrous Broly

Before its release in the US, Broly had already taken over the world, in places such as Japan and Mexico. Upon its release in Latin America, the movie had already made an overwhelming 32 million dollars worldwide, adding 6.5 million on its opening day in Mexico, becoming the country’s most popular movie at the time. On its opening weekend in Japan, it broke box office records, grossing a remarkable 8.7 million dollars. That wasn’t the only record it broke in Japan; in less than two weeks after its release, the movie grossed over 2 billion yen, the fastest film to make such an accomplishment.

Possibly the best part of the movie for the fans is getting to see all their favorite characters becoming official, or canon for Dragon Ball. When the first Broly movie came out in 1993, many fans loved the character of Broly, but were disappointed that he wasn’t canon. Same goes for Gogeta, the fusion of Goku and Vegeta; appearing in his first movie in 1995, fans waited for the moment to see him once again. This movie gave them that and much more, with a tragic backstory and amazing characterization of Broly, along with the most action scenes you see involved with Gogeta.

“I was speculating that it was gonna make a lot of money from the outset,” Chris Sabat, voice of Vegeta told EW. “It’s such an interesting feature, and it truly did give fans what they had been wanting from the last two movies, which was just the most epic of fighting scenes.

Fans are especially excited for the canon debut of Gogeta

About the Writer
Chris Mendez, Writer

Chris Mendez is a senior and this is his first year writing for The Stampede. For the second year, he will be a part of the Best Buddies club and when...