Filed under Opinion

Why “Joker (2019)” will be great

Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker

Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker

Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker

After the tragic passing of Heath Ledger and a disappointing performance by Jared Leto in Suicide Squad, this new Joker could be the one the fans have been looking for. And truth be told, I could not be more excited.

The premise for this film seems to be taking inspiration from the famous graphic novel, The Killing Joke. Borrowing elements such as the character of Joker being a failed comedian and going insane because of just “one bad day.” But from set photos, it seems as if the film is also taking notes from two Martin Scorsese pictures, The King Of Comedy and Taxi Driver.  This is music to my ears because Taxi Driver is one of my all time favorite movies and the fact that it helped inspire this movie, makes me think it will take this Joker in a new direction than any previous film.

I will admit that I was a little taken aback at first when I realized that Batman would not even exist yet and that Thomas Wayne would still be alive when the Joker is around causing trouble. But the more I thought about it, I realized that this gives the filmmakers more room to explore this interpretation of the character. To also see that this film is going to be rated R excites me. Just like Deadpool and Logan, this would just add to the creativity and new elements of what R rated superhero films still have to offer.

Joker smiling as walks behind a riot he supposedly started.

The selling point for me with this upcoming DC film is that it exists on its own and can tell it’s own story without having to build a cinematic universe. Recent DC films such as Batman v Superman, Suicide Squad and Justice League failed to impress me for multiple reasons, but the studio interference that forced the films to build a universe of possibilities as opposed to make coherent and enjoyable movies were evident throughout all of them. The fact that this movie takes place in its own universe where the focus of the film is the story and character progression relieves me beyond words.

Phoenix as Arthur Fleck before the Joker transformation.

Due to set pictures being leaked from the film, we can see what Joaquin Phoenix will look like before he transforms into the villain we all know.  A normal citizen named Arthur Fleck is seen on set before the Joker transformation, but nothing yells out Joker more than his creepy, villainous smile. Add in the iconic suit and make up, I’m not only impressed, but intimidated by this Joker. Combined with the iconic green hair and a Heath Ledger-like appearance, a reference to Caesar Ramiro’s sad clown face, and the bright colors of Jack Nicholson, Phoenix shows a Joker that understands and respects the original designs of the character. Joaquin Phoenix also brings many new elements to the table not seen in any other Batman films, such as his red nose and blue eye shadow, his closer resemblance to a clown, and his background story as a failed comedian being a huge focus for the character.

Until it’s released on October 4th 2019, I can only speculate what the overall quality will be; however, the preview and set photos that have been shown so far, most certainly puts a smile on my face.

About the Writers
Kevin Parry, Writer

Kevin Parry is a senior at Wiregrass Ranch High School. This is his second year writing for The Stampede. He is excited to write more entertainment and opinion articles for The Stampede this school year. Kevin also works on the yearbook and is a member of the gaming club and photography club. He loves to watch movies and tv and play video games. He aspires to be a entertainment journalist to review the best in the business and do a little dancing on the side.

Chris Mendez, Writer

Chris Mendez is a senior and this is his first year writing for The Stampede. For the second year, he will be a part of the Best Buddies club and when he is not in school, he works as a tutor and babysitter. After Chris graduates, he plans to go to Colombia to study psychology or go to New York to study medicine.

1 Comment

One Response to “Why “Joker (2019)” will be great”

1. Alexander Parkman on October 11th, 2018 7:24 pm

I am very excited for this movie as well. I am relieved about what was said that it would take place as a stand alone movie. Those types of movies are almost always better and stronger from a story telling aspect.

• Why “Joker (2019)” will be great

Opinion

Mason Ramsey is taking advantage of his recent publicity

• Why “Joker (2019)” will be great

Community

Why is domestic violence awareness necessary?

• Why “Joker (2019)” will be great

Opinion

Why Riverdale has fallen short in Season 2

• Why “Joker (2019)” will be great

Opinion

Let’s Plays and Sports

• Why “Joker (2019)” will be great

Opinion

The Marvel cinematic universe’s long-lasting legacy

• Why “Joker (2019)” will be great

Opinion

A different perspective

• Why “Joker (2019)” will be great

Opinion

Culture ll disappoints

• Why “Joker (2019)” will be great

Opinion

Has rap been destroyed?

• Why “Joker (2019)” will be great

Opinion

Snapchat update disappoints users

• Why “Joker (2019)” will be great

Opinion

Number 1 Billboard Artist: Camila Cabello

Why “Joker (2019)” will be great