Running with the Bulls

Bella, Sierra, Qyana, and Tai posing with the team’s first place trophy.

This past Saturday, the Wiregrass girls track team came in first and the boys track team came in second at the Cypress Creek Invitational, dominating against 12 other schools. Two Bulls track members earned 1st place in their individual events. Sophomore Brian Parker placed first in the 110 meter hurdles and Junior Allison Fleming won in the 300 meter hurdles.

It was all of the Bulls second place finishes in the event that put their team in the lead with points. Allison Fleming, Breanna Preiser, Savannah Horsemann, Porcia Boateng, Kevin Jaquex, Devaun Roberts, Brian Parker, and Kasean Ridgel all earned second place for their respective event.

Brian Parker with the boy’s second place trophy.
Allison Fleming with the girl’s 1st place trophy.

Sophomore, Brian Parker, was selected as athlete of the week for track after this meet.  Brian competed in 5 events on Saturday: the 110 meter hurdles,  300 hurdles, 4X100 relay, long jump, and the high jump. This is Parker’s first year running track.

“I’m excited that I joined track this year and all my hard work is paying off,” Parker commented.

Sophomore, Allison Fleming, was also chosen as athlete of the week. She competed in three events for this meet: the 100 and 300 meter hurdles and the 4×100 relay.

“It felt good to win and I beat my personal best, but I really wanted to beat the school record. I was off by 0.9 seconds,” Fleming explained.

Senior Devaun Roberts tied with Parker in the high jump event, placing second by clearing 5-09 feet. Roberts has been on the track team for two years, but this is his first year competing in the high jump.

“I feel like I did good considering it was my second track meet doing high jump, but there are more things I need to improve on,” Roberts explained.

This is Coach Marvin Gray’s third year as head coach for the boy’s track team. He is impressed by his team’s commitment and effort this year.

“I am extremely proud of how hard our athletes have been working this year. They are showing a lot of growth and maturity from previous years,” Gray said.

The Bulls have their next upcoming meet this Saturday at Osceola High School in Kissimmee and hope to come out with a big win.