Filed under Sports

The Boston Red Sox are the 2018 World Series Champions

The Boston Red Sox beat the Los Angles Dodgers 4-1 in the 2018 World Series

The Boston Red Sox win the 2018 World Series

MLB Photos via Getty Images

MLB Photos via Getty Images

The Boston Red Sox defeated the Los Angeles Dodgers on Sunday night to win the 2017-2018 World Series in five games.

The Red Sox beat a franchise record of 108 wins in the regular season, and were projected to win the championship from the beginning of the season. The Dodgers finished first in the National League West, with 92 wins in the regular season.

The Red Sox won the first game of the series at Fenway Park. Chris Sale was the starting pitcher for the Sox, and Clayton Kershaw pitched for the Dodgers. What was expected to be a pitching duel turned into a slugfest, with the Red Sox winning 8-4. Red Sox Designated Hitter (DH) J.D. Martinez had 2 RBIs and 2 hits while Dodgers short-stop Manny Machado had 1 hit and 3 RBIs.

David J. Phillip
Chris Sale pitching.

“It was huge [to win game 1]. You gotta set the tone, we came out today, and did a really good job of sticking to our plan against Kershaw,” Martinez said in an interview with NESN.

The two teams played the next day at Fenway Park, where the Red Sox won again, 4-2. The starting pitcher for the Red Sox, David Price, pitched 6 innings and had 5 strikeouts. The starting pitcher for the Dodgers, Hyun-Jin Ryu, allowed all 4 runs and had a 5.21 ERA.

The third game set a record for longest World Series game, lasting 18 innings. The Dodgers won 3-2. The Dodgers scored the first run in the 3rd inning, and the Red Sox scored the next run in the 8th inning. The teams tied in the 13th inning, until Dodger infielder Max Muncy finally ended the game with a walk-off home run in the bottom of the 18th.

Playing at Dodger Stadium, the Red Sox rallied to win the fourth game in the series, 9-6. The Dodgers were winning after scoring 4 runs in the 6th inning. The Red Sox then scored 3 runs in the 7th inning, and 1 run in the 8th inning to tie up the game. The Sox took the lead after scoring 5 runs in the 9th inning. First baseman Steve Pearce had 4 RBIs in the game, helping lead Boston to the win.

Red Sox manager Alex Cora was proud of his team after the comeback victory.

Jayne Kamin-Oncea, USA TODAY Sports
The Red Sox celebrating their World Series victory

“We fought until the end, until the very last inning. We willed ourselves to do great things towards the end of the game,” Cora commented in the post-game interview.

The fifth and final game of the series was played in Los Angeles. Boston put on a dominant performance, winning the game 5-1. Clayton Kershaw was the starting pitcher for the Dodgers, and David Price pitched for the Red Sox into 8 innings, the longest starting performance from any Red Sox pitcher in the series. Steve Pearce had another impressive performance, hitting 2 home runs, and batting in 3 RBIs.

Steve Pearce won MVP of the series, and David Price was finally able to capture his first championship after 10 seasons in the league.

“This is such a great moment, I’ve been through a lot [in the league], and everything has been worth it,” Pearce said in an interview after winning MVP.

The two teams now head into the offseason, where the Red Sox look to resign free agents, like pitcher Nathan Eovaldi and first baseman Steve Pearce, and the Dodgers hope to bring back short-stop Manny Machado.

About the Writer
Jason Mazursky, Writer

Jason Mazursky is a senior and this is his first year working for The Stampede. He plays on the lacrosse team, and likes to watch all kinds of sports....