Cross Country 2020 Recap

November 22, 2020

Boys+cross+country+team+running+as+they+prepare+for+districts.+

Jada Wilson.

Boys cross country team running as they prepare for districts.

The boys and girls on the cross country team exhibited extortionary effort throughout their respective 2020 season. The team had qualifications to regionals from both the boys and girls. Unfortunately, Covid-19 shut down the remaining season for the team, including regionals.

The diligent effort put in every step of the way prompted those on the team with a winning mentality to always place better at the next meet and to push those around them. This conclusively attributed to the Bulls record as one of the most prominent cross country teams in the district.

Girl seniors and cross country captains, Breanna Preiser and Mya Hill, played a critical role in leading the team. Preiser was out for a couple of weeks due to injuries but kept the team spirit alive. Hill was astonished at the teams performance and believes that they “finished the season stronger than last year despite these [covid] setbacks.” Hill continued with, “The season went a lot smoother than I had anticipated; it was a great way to finish my cross country career.”

The girls had a season record with a time of 21:24 set by Samantha Scott. The team had a series of new runners introduced to the program which left captains satisfied as they “really got into the sport and took running seriously.”

The boys team placed 2nd in conference and 3rd in districts with the qualification of regionals. Senior Sabastian Hernandez made first team All-Conference while Romal Estemcdonald and Jamie Candeleria made second team. Hernandez plans to continue his cross country career in college likewise as Estemcdonald.

Estemcdonald was shocked to see such a turnout in some of the teams first year runners, majority of which were freshman. These individuals included: Daniel Lyon, Hunter Boggs, Mason Spearin, and Ryder Dutil who all made varsity and made significant improvements throughout the season.