Swim & Dive 2020 Recap

November 22, 2020

K. Fry

Wiregrass diving into the 2020 season.

The co-ed swim and dive team at Wiregrass led by Coaches Cimino and Gramm underwent a challenging season as the Covid protocol on the deck influenced practice times, learning abilities, and restricted camaraderie among the team. Nevertheless, the Bulls swim team overcame the challenges presented to achieve an incredible season.

Student athletes, Mathew Gomez (Sr), Manny Silva (Sr), Noah Porter (Jr), Kevin Chen (Jr), Maryam Khalil (Jr), and Abby Galo (Jr),  all qualified and competed in the FHSAA state championship swim and dive meet; some of which moved on to the evening finals and placed in the top of the 3A finalists.

The work put in leading up to meets has paid off in dividends as the swim team was able to set new school records this past season and achieve a state rank; a phenomenal triumph for any team in the state.

The team celebrated 8 top 16 finishes including: Keven Chen placing 14th in the 100 Freestyle; Noah Porter taking 13th in the 200 Individual Medley; Manny Silva securing 12th in the 50 Freestyle; Abby Galo establishing 12th in the 1 Meter Diving; 10th in the Boy’s 200 Freestyle Relay; 9th in the Boy’s 400 Freestyle relay, and Maryam Khalil made it to the podium with an 8th place finish in the 50 Freestyle and a 5th place finish in the 100 Breaststroke.