A guide to improving handwriting

Dedicating a small amount of time daily to handwriting can make life easier

An example paragraph of incredibly neat handwriting.

theodysseyonline.com

theodysseyonline.com

A lot of people, students and adults alike, struggle with handwriting. Not everyone learned to write in somewhat of a neat manner, so skills never improved, and typing is not always an option. While it takes time and effort, learning how to write neatly can make life easier for you, your teachers, and anyone who has to read what you write by hand.

The first thing to learn is what you do not like about your handwriting. Is it big or small, sharp or rounded, or just flat out illegible? Knowing what you do not like will help you to fix it; since you will have something to focus on. Along with this, learning the correct, or most effective, way to hold your writing utensil is a huge step that can lead to legible handwriting.

The next thing to do is find a handwriting style that you like. This could be your teacher’s, your friend’s, or even from a picture you Googled. Since everyone’s handwriting is different, it might take some time to find the one you really like and want to adapt.

Reddit.com
A model picture for neat handwriting

Once you find something you like, practice everything in this style. You should practice the alphabet in both uppercase and lowercase letters. If you have any homework that requires writing, use the model handwriting you chose. Everything that you write should be in this new style. The only way to get better is to practice, practice, practice.

Though it might seem rather “elementary” to practice your handwriting, it is honestly never too late.  Many people practice calligraphy, which is a type of decorative handwriting. Said people practice their lettering by using a method called “drills.” By doing this, they are basically using that elementary-type worksheet to continuously write out different letters in the alphabet.

The best way to practice efficiently is to use lined paper. Using lined paper helps to keep the sizes of the letters consistent and prevents the words from angling up or down. While practicing the letters, you should not try to write fast. Leave that for the future, when your ability to use the handwriting you like has improved vastly. Speed is not as important as legibility in most cases.

Having legible handwriting is a skill that makes written communication more efficient. This skill can even get you a job, as many jobs require employees to have neat handwriting, unless you plan to be a doctor.

About the Writer
Lizzie Snider, Editor in Chief

Lizzie Snider is a junior at Wiregrass Ranch, and it is her third year writing for The Stampede. She is an active part of the WRHS Marching Bulls and Key...

1 Comment

One Response to “A guide to improving handwriting”

1. Ibrahim on October 6th, 2017 1:04 pm

Excellent handwriting

• A guide to improving handwriting

Staff Blogs

How to stop procrastinating

• A guide to improving handwriting

Staff Blogs

How to take the best notes from a textbook

• A guide to improving handwriting

Staff Blogs

The art of Bullet Journaling

• A guide to improving handwriting

Staff Blogs

Three Ways to Take Notes

• A guide to improving handwriting

Staff Blogs

Best study tips

• A guide to improving handwriting

Fall Sports

Bulls suffer tough playoff loss to Lakeland

• A guide to improving handwriting

News

Class of 2019 Outstanding Senior: Chin Chin Choi

• A guide to improving handwriting

Entertainment

Mid90s is a nostalgic skate punk experience everyone should see

• A guide to improving handwriting

Opinion

Is Tory Lanez’s new album “LoVE me NOw” worth listening to?

• A guide to improving handwriting

Entertainment

First Man launches into theaters

A guide to improving handwriting