John Baca and Florent Groberg after their presentation at Wiregrass. (Mrs. Swain)
John Baca and Florent Groberg after their presentation at Wiregrass.

Mrs. Swain

Medal of Honor recipients share their wisdom with the Ranch

Two Medal of Honor recipients share their stories and advice with Wiregrass students.

November 15, 2019

Friendship. Communication. Forgiveness. Medal of Honor recipients, John Baca and Florent Groberg spoke on the importance of these qualities during a presentation at Wiregrass Ranch on October 24th.

Florent Groberg speaks at the Ranch

Mrs. Swain

Florent Groberg speaking with a group of students after the presentation.

Florent Groberg speaks at the Ranch

Medal of Honor recipient, Florent Groberg earned his medal by tackling a suicide bomber before they could reach a U.S. military base in Afghanistan in 2012.  

Groberg explained that being a holder of the medal, is the most “humbling and greatest honor you can receive on this earth,” but he believes his medal belongs to more than just himself.

“This medal belongs to this country, this nation,” Groberg explained. “For me specifically, it belongs to four of my friends who died on the day I received this medal for.”

Ashley Swain
Groberg and Baca’s Medals of Honor.

Groberg enlisted in the military with a lot of hate due to his uncle being killed by terrorism, but discussed how he found love in the military with the brotherhood and friendship he found there.

“You’re willing to sacrifice your life for each other, without even realizing you’re doing it,” Groberg explained.

He went on to discuss the survivor’s guilt he felt after tackling the suicide bomber and living while his four friends died.

“I realized, end of 2012, that none of these [terrorist] organizations were as tough and more lethal than my own mind,” Groberg said.

The way he dealt with it, is the same advice he gave to the students of Wiregrass Ranch.

“Be willing to have a conversation with each other,” Groberg explained. “There is nothing more powerful than a conversation.”

Braeden Erdmann Baca and Groberg sharing a laugh during the presentation.

John Baca speaks at the Ranch

Mrs. Swain

Emma Kerrick giving John Baca a hug after the presentation.

John Baca speaks at the Ranch

Medal of Honor recipient, John Baca earned his medal by laying his helmet and himself on top of a grenade in Vietnam in 1970, saving eight men nearby.

Baca, expressed a similar sentiment as Groberg, on the importance of friendship when reflecting on his sacrifice during the war.

“You find a friend and you keep them for life,” Baca said.

Baca was drafted in the Vietnam War in 1969. Twenty years later, Baca went back to help build a clinic in South Vietnam. He explained that the Vietnamese workers were confused why so many American veterans were not being welcomed back home or still struggling with things they did during the war.

“We have forgiven you, but you come back to your home and you’re not welcome home,” he explained. “You learn to forgive yourself and forgive one another.”

Baca emphasized the significance of not just forgiving each other, but yourself as well.

Braeden Erdmann
Baca and Groberg during their presentation.

Students were left emotional as the presentation came to end. One student, senior Kylie Ehman, was very touched by the presentation.

“They both were selfless and talked about forgiving the enemy even after everything they both were put through,” Ehman explained.

Government teacher, Rachel Miller, organized the presentation. She expressed what she hoped the students learned from the recipients.

“I hope the students learned about humility and sacrifice from men who were willing to give their life to save their friends,” Miller explained. “We can learn so much from their courage and willingness to do whatever they had to do for their fellow man.”